Sunday, February 17, 2008

Obtaining a Great Mirror Finish

I have often heard metal clay artist say that getting a mirror finish is almost impossible. This can be challenging at times. I have found that by sanding each piece before attaching them eliminates a lot of this. I hand sand every piece beginning with 600 through 2000 grit sandpaper before attaching the pieces to each other. Once I fire a piece I repeat the process. Then I use all grits of polishing papers, using as much pressure as I can with each. I only use a dremel tool to polish tiny areas on the inside of circles or in deep crevice areas that I cannot get sandpaper into. I find it similar to working with wood. Each sucessive grit of sandpaper seals and closes the grains of wood. In metal clay, each successive grit of sandpaper fills and closes the pores in clay. I recommend using a dust mask and sanding with the help of a magnifying lamp which allows you to see tiny scratches and imprefections as you move through each level. I wash my hands at least twice when using polishing clothes because silver dust and particles get imbedded in your skin if it is callused. This can cause minute scratches on a high shine. I cannot emphasis enough the importance of sanding before and after firing if you want a flawless mirror finish. With practice you will pick up tips that work best for the piece that you are working on.

No comments: